Ayatana Overlay Scrollbars 0.2.13 released with Ubuntu-specific texture, enhanced proximity area and more (Ubuntu 11.10 & 12.04)
Ubuntu's default fancy yet usability-aware scrollbars, Ayatana Overlay Scrollbars, have just been updated to another consistent release, marking a clear, optimized implementation.
What is new in Ayatana Overlay Scrollbars 0.2.13?
- the thumb gained Ubuntu-specific pointed texture, making it look slicker and more professional then its previous implementations
- the proximity area is now "touchable" on the whole page (this feature was presented weeks ago when the first Precise version was presented)
- new thumb positioning related to mouse pointer and bar location
- new fine-scroll mode (while hold & drag the thumb press Ctrl to enter fine-scroll mode, which is a limited page fine scroll, so the scrolling is done on a part of the navigated window)
- press Ctrl when on page/page down to obtain step up/step down, useful for slow and careful scrolling
- jumping of the thumb is triggered now via middle-click or Shift+left-click
- animations tweaks
- performance improvements and various bug fixes
How do we install Ayatana Overlay Scrollbars 0.2.13?
Add the following official PPA (Oneiric)
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ayatana-scrollbar-team/release
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install liboverlay-scrollbar-0.2-0
Ayatana Overlay Scrollbars 0.2.13 have already landed in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Precise Pangolin (no PPA required).
- Ayatana Overlay Scrollbar's resize via thumb landed in Precise Pangolin
- Ayatana Overlay Scrollbars to get enhanced proximity area in Ubuntu 12.04
- Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS released and available for download
- Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS released
- Launchpad up-to-date official blueprint: Add overlay scrollbar support for Thunderbird and Firefox (probably Ubuntu 12.10)