Beautify your terminal with 4 fancy prompts
Ubuntu offers, by default, Ubuntu Software Center for users to deal with software (install, uninstall, etc), System Settings to expose numerous configuration options and GNOME Terminal where more advanced actions are to be performed by both experimented and fresh users (where commands such as
rm are easily graspable).
When the terminal is launched a piece of text is displayed, known as prompt, that displays by default the username and the machine name, informations that can be changed, adjusted, enriched in order to either gain extra displayed informations or just for fun, more pleasant look, proper orientations due to the different used colors, etc.
- relatively clean, simple look with vivid colors and time
PS1='\[\033[0;32m\]\A \[\033[0;31m\]\u\[\033[0;34m\]@\[\033[0;35m\]\h\[\033[0;34m\]:\[\033[00;36m\]\W\[\033[0;33m\] $\[\033[0m\] '
- day, month and a bracketed prompt with "page break" that places the typed commands under the main "title"
- page break-enabled, fancy look with rounded "attitude", only user and the current directory
PS1="\[\e[0;1m\]┌─( \[\e[31;1m\]\u\[\e[0;1m\] ) - ( \[\e[36;1m\]\w\[\e[0;1m\] )\n└──┤ \[\e[0m\]"
- extra symbols and "full" look
PS1='\[\033[0;32m\]┌┼─┼─ \[\033[0m\033[0;32m\]\u\[\033[0m\] @ \[\033[0;36m\]\h\[\033[0m\033[0;32m\] ─┤├─ \[\033[0m\]\t \d\[\033[0;32m\] ─┤├─ \[\033[0;31m\]\w\[\033[0;32m\] ─┤ \n\[\033[0;32m\]└┼─\[\033[0m\033[0;32m\]\$\[\033[0m\033[0;32m\]─┤▶\[\033[0m\] '
How do we apply the above tweaks?
Navigate to the home folder, open
Ctrl+H in order to make it visible), copy the above codes at the bottom of .bashrc and save.
To revert to terminal's default prompt, delete the copied code and save.
- Be notified by completed terminal commands via Undistract-me, handy terminal functionality
- How to easily add fancy terminal backgrounds via Glossy Lines background pack
- Add a fancy look to your terminal
- Unleash nyancat in your terminal with Nyancat CLI (Quantal Quetzal)
- Fancify your GNOME Terminal with ASCII art