Blender 2.62 released with new features (PPA available)
Blender is a versatile 3D suite for modelling, animation, rendering, post-production, interactive creation and more, featuring a fancy, professional interface.
Blender 2.62 has been released, adding new features, bug fixes and under-the-hood improvements.
What is new in Blender 2.62?
- enhanced Motion Tracking, adding object tracking support, thus being able to reconstruct from footage animation and transformation of objects in the scene
- new features added to Cycles Render Engine, including render layers and passes, multi GPU rendering, border rendering, improved sampling for complex environment maps, etc
- new UV editing tools (advanced interactive stitch tool, sculpting tools, etc)
- polished Game Engine's UI with improved fullscreen and antialised rendering
- Remesh modifier, a tool useful for generating a mesh topology based on an input surface
- much, much more
How do we install Blender 2.62?
Add the following development PPA (Lucid, Maverick, Natty, Oneiric, Precise)
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:cheleb/blender-svn
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install blender
As a manual alternative, download Blender 2.62, unpack the archive and run it by double-clicking on the blender executable.
Ike AhLoe created and submitted a theme to Blender, theme accepted and landed in Blender, Ubuntu Ambiance, that comes as an improvement in terms of look and feel, combining a slightly modified Ambiance-based "feel" with Blender's complex UI.
Furthermore, the above theme brings a "blending" between the titlebar and toolbar.
The selection is simple, the needed steps are:
Blender-->File-->User Preferences-->Themes-->Presets-->select Ubuntu Ambiance
- then, right-click on the small button (located near File) and select Flip to Top
- Blender 2.67 released with new features and enhancements
- Versed artist Aidy Burrows explains the usage of Blender in the captivating Lego City Undercover game
- 4TB of 4096x2160 footage from Tears of Steel freely available for download
- Blender 2.66a released with more than 80 bug fixes
- Blender 2.66 released with long-awaited features and more than 250 bug fixes