Calibre updated with new visual style
Calibre is a powerful e-book library management tool with built-in support for numerous file format conversions, integrated online sources for both books and news, plenty of configuration options, third-party built-in on-demand add-ons/plugins and a solid e-book reader featuring table of contents, bookmarks, print, last-page remembrance, etc.
Calibre is being acknowledged as one of the most "complete" e-book manager, yet, there are "voices" talking about a lack of proportionality between its features/stability/power and the user interface, the manner in which Calibre presents itself in front of the user.
Judging by the latest updates, it seems that the Calibre developers are aware of the mentioned issue and have started the work on improving Calibre's user interface, work that has been already implemented in "real" code.
Calibre has been updated to version 0.8.55, introducing a new/improved user interface style, that "touches" numerous corners of Calibre:
- right-click menus (the highlighted area is now "progressive", adopting a color that gradually withers, creating a pleasant visual effect on the menus)
- the left-side panel borrows the "main" used color, "triggering" a continuous look and feel, furthermore the panel uses a single color without "zebra" effect and, when an item is expanded and then contracted receives a subtle underline
- "boxes" are "activated" on hover over with a beautifully rendered border
- scrollbars has been completely modified, gaining a rounded look
- navigating through options is now state aware, meaning, clicking (and thus selecting/opening) on an item, colors the clicked item with a "bold" color and with a less vivid color the item hovered over with the mouse pointer, consequently, the user knows exactly what is selected when searching for other options
- "full" hover over look
How do we install Calibre 0.8.55?
Add the following PPA (Precise)
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:n-muench/calibre
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install calibre
In order to select the new user style, navigate to
Calibre-->Preferences-->Look and Feel-->under User interface, select Calibre Style.
- How to easily convert MOBI and EPUB files to PDF via Calibre
- Calibre 0.9.27 released with Google Images and Big Book Search cover-download support
- Calibre 0.9.23 released with exciting Edit ToC support
- Calibre 0.9.20 adds enhanced polish-book functionalities
- Calibre 0.9.19 released with exciting Polish books functionality and new features