Canonical received massive attention and award at CES 2013
Numerous Youtube clips, mainstream media's mentions, noticeable interest across the internets, are descriptions suitable for the Ubuntu phone OS, an exciting incarnation of pure Ubuntu into a phone form-factor.
Nevertheless, it is always interesting to observe how the actual team of developers has perceived press attention, corporation interests, etc, especially for just-launched technologies.
The developers have published an article about the first-day-at-CES-2013 experience, describing how Ubuntu for phones has been met by persons, companies, etc, article exposing the behind-the-scenes perception.
It seems that "amazing interest" is a quality properly describing CES 2013's first day, "at the CES press event, the interest for Ubuntu on the phone is extraordinary", "many are impressed with the design and its capabilities, and totally get the potential of Ubuntu in the mobile space".
Furthermore, the developers received the Editor's Choice Award from the Popular Mechanics magazine, "in recognition of outstanding achievement in new product design and innovation".
The mentioned exciting amount of attention has been paired by the visit of the famous hip hop star, will.i.am, who received a presentation of Ubuntu for phones directly at Ubuntu booth.
- Famous hacker Kevin Mitnick visited the Ubuntu booth at CES 2013
- Ubuntu for phones demoed with edit-image filled-with-entries menu and usable virtual keyboard
- Jono Bacon answered questions at CES 2013 (related to closing windows, terminal, respins, etc)
- Ubuntu's Michael Frey demoes Ubuntu for phones with built-in notification bubble (CES 2013)
- Jono Bacon video demoes Ubuntu for phones at CES 2013