Elementary's file-browser, Marlin 0.1, released (Natty/Oneiric PPA)
Some say that Elementary is just about copying Mac, others say that Elementary combines what is best from both worlds (Mac and Ubuntu),certainly one thing is for sure: their projects bring quite interesting ideas.
Elementary's view for a file-browser is Marlin, a separate application that continues the notorious Elementary Nautilus, and, just now, 0.1 version has been released in their development PPA.
So, what's new in Marlin 0.1?
- first, it has been built with GTK+3 in mind but compatible with Natty's GTK+2, so, in Natty Narwhal won't look as good as in GTK+3
- the context pane is ON by default, with accurate "long" description of the selected file and shortcuts to "Open with" that really comes handy (no need to right-click--Open with..., etc)
- option to customize the tool-bar (choose the displayed item and easily arrange them via drag&drop)
- awesome properly-arranged settings (a clear way to sett and tweak Marlin as you like, options categorized in "Behavior", "Display", "Plugins")
- open files&folders with one or two clicks (Edit-->Settings-->Behavior-->Single click to open-->ON/OFF)
- option to change sidebar's icon size (Edit-->Settings-->Display-->Sidebar icon size)
- support for plugins (only two plugins at the moment, "Open Terminal" and "Contractor")
- a visual-oriented selection method (a pre-selection icon that changes after "x-time" when the file is selected)
- animated Ubuntu Software Center-like breadcrumbs that allow typing
How do we install Marlin 0.1?
Add the following PPA (Natty, Oneiric)
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:elementaryart/elementary-dev
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install marlin
This is a development applications and often crashes.