Expose thousands of medicines-specific items in the Dash via Unity Medicines lens
Weather, calendars, torrents, web history, photos, etc, are focuses already implemented in Unity lenses, pushing informative data in the handiness of the Dash, from where users can satisfy a high-quality digital life, lenses shaped around the web in the field of non-physical "area" bearing a more informative attitude.
Unity Medicines lens has been created with a more practical approach in mind, exposing drugs-related informations, and, while retaining the mentioned informative attitude, plunges into a more "bodily" physical aspect of our human existence, allowing user to search and access descriptions and details of drugs (drugs in the sense of legal diseas "killers", not the recreational forbidden-by-law substances).
Unity Medicines lens uses, as its data gatherers, medicines.ie and emc.medicines.org.uk.
- eMC (electronic Medicines Compendium) contains more than 9,000 documents related to up-to-date informations about medicines licensed for use in the UK, documents checked and approved by the UK and/or European government agencies.
- medicines.ie is a full-fledged source of informations on medical products available in Ireland, appreciated and used by healthcare professionals and by the Department of Health&Children and the Irish Medicines Board.
The Medicines lens properly categorizes its searched&found items in
Summary of Product Characteristics (technical bits suitable for healthcare professionals describing numerous characteristics of the found drug, such as qualitative and quantitative composition, pharmaceutical form, clinical particulars, therapeutic indications, posology and method of administration, contraindications, special warnings and precautions for use, pregnancy and lactation, effects on ability to drive and use machines, undesirable effects, overdose, preclinical safety data, incompatibilities, nature and contents of container, etc) and
Patient Information Leaflets (directed towards the patient, containing a leaflet written for patients in order to properly access information about using a specific medicine, usually in PDF format).
Unity Medicines lens take advantage of the new card view, properly displaying the searched&found items with tile and additional text details, approach that is to help the user to accurately identify relevant content.
Its usage is as simple as opening the lens, typing a desired word in the search area, followed by clicking on the preferred displayed results, action that will open it via the default web-browser.
Switching between sources (in order to display items only from medicines.ie or emc.medicines.org.uk) is to be performed via the available filters, if the
All filter is enabled (by licking on it or by not interfering with filters), the lens will display search results from medicines.ie (if one's location is detected as Ireland) or eMC (for non-Ireland determined locations).
How do we install Unity Medicines lens 0.1?
Add the following official PPA (Precise, Quantal)
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:markjtully/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install unity-lens-medicines
- Access PuBmed, Google Scholar and JSTOR with Unity Academic lens
- Access movie details, know actors and play trailers via Unity Movie lens
- Easily translate words via Unity WordReference lens
- Unity PyPI lens 0.8 landed in Ubuntu Software Center
- How to easily enable a third-party lens to respect Unity's online-search default approach