LibreOffice 4.0 to receive support for all Visio files from Visio 1 to Visio 2013 (via Visio import filter)
Microsoft Visio is a 2D-object drawing application, part of the Microsoft Office suite.
Months ago, the LibreOffice developers started the work on implementing a Micrososft Viso import filter, filter that, as its name says, allows users to import Visio-specific files directly into LibreOffice Draw (thus enlarging its supported file formats).
Nevertheless, while libvisio's initial implementation in LibreOffice 3.5 was successful, "the Visio story was far from finished".
Weeks ago, LibreOffice 4.0 ALPHA 1 was released (as the first incarnation of the 4.x series), introducing various changes, among which (starting with LibreOffice 4.0 BETA) a more complete finished Visio importer.
The results are impressive, LibreOffice 4.0 is to be shipped with support for all Visio files starting from the very 1.0 Visio (released in 1992) to Microsoft Visio 2013 (weeks-ago released), essentially, a no-compromise Visio import experience.
- LibreOffice 4.0.3 landed in its official PPA with Ubuntu 12.04 and Ubuntu 12.10 support
- LibreOffice reaches 200-conversions milestone on shifting to new .UI dialogs
- LibreOffice (and other free software) started to be shipped on Extremadura's 40,000 PCs, migration to save 30 million Euro per year
- LibreOffice 4.0.3 released with 100 bug fixes
- The LibreOffice developers are working on automated import crash testing, 60 crashes detected while testing 24,500 documents in a single test