Ubuntu 11.10's Unity 3D runs smoothly on Acer Iconia W500 touchscreen
It is a fact that Ubuntu will be present on tablets, smart screens, phones, TVs in the future, objective expressed by Mark Shuttleworth few weeks ago.
Although there are various clips on the Internet that show Ubuntu on various devices, including tablets, the bellow video presents Ubuntu running smoothly on a touchscreen, Acer Iconia W500.
The interesting part is that the tablet runs on Unity 3D that "feels" quite snappy even when the Dash is summoned.
To enhance her experience, the user installed an application in order to gain right-click capabilities via predefined gestures, useful on the launcher, desktop and indicators.
The new Onboard<.strong> virtual keyboard is definitely a handy tool for typing with moving abilities and floating mode, making typing on tablets decent enough.
Unity is responsive when screen rotation comes in place transforming the launcher into a large area when one can put numerous icons.
Acer Iconia W500 features a 10.1 inch display, 1280 x 800 resolution, 2GB RAM, AMD-C50 processor and a 32GB SSD.
- Unity updated in Raring Ringtail with refreshed clockwise Ubuntu logo
- Unity updated in Ubuntu 13.04 with performance improvements and smoother Unity Previews animations
- Ubuntu 13.04's Unity gained interesting checked state for quicklists
- Unity 7.0 landed in Ubuntu 13.04, marks the Raring-specific Unity version
- Ubuntu 13.04's Unity received illuminated icon states for Trash and storage devices