Unity 5.4 landed in Ubuntu 12.04 with the HUD, new tooltips, redesigned buttons and more
Unity 5.4 has just landed in Ubuntu 12.04, taking the LTS to another superior level in terms of design, interactions and overall polish.
What is new in Unity 5.4?
- the HUD is now enabled by default and ready to take typed commands and deliver the results (by opening the appropriate application)
The HUD can be summoned via Alt key and highlights, by default, the first result, thus by hitting Enter the first displayed action/application is executed.
The HUD features Dash's blending decoration, as well as an adaptive look (its size is adjusted according to the contained results), furthermore, the key that triggers the HUD can be changed under
CompizConfig Settings Manager-->Ubuntu Unity Plugin-->Behavior-->Key to show the HUD
- redesigned Unity panel's close/minimize/maximize buttons
- new redesigned Unity launcher tooltips and quicklists with a more professional look
- Ubuntu logo/BFB, Trash, Workspace Switcher and Mounted drives feature now a chameleonic behavior (they borrow the average desktop wallpaper color)
- improved reveal launcher behavior (if the launcher is hidden, when the mouse pointer pushes against the left-edge of the screen, prior to the actual launcher reveal, a reveal shadowed border appears, acting like an attention symbol, meaning if one continues the push action, shortly the launcher will be revealed)
- Dash's lenses bar gained a more visible square mouse-over state, approach followed all over the Dash
- new default lens, Unity Video lens, that gathers both online (Youtube Movies, Youtube Shows, BBC iPlayer, Vimeo, etc) and offline data (in order to display local movies/clips, the files must be located in Videos folder).
The lens offers quick access to various movies, shows, playing a searched & found item is as simple as clicking on the result (the default web-browser will be opened).
- functional Top Left Corner (in Unity 5.4, if the launcher is set to Autohide, there is the possibility to choose, as a reveal option, Top Left Corner, then, pushing the left-edge of the screen will have no effect, the only way to reveal the launcher is by pushing the top-left corner)
select Top Left Corner under
CompizConfig Settings Manager-->Ubuntu Unity Plugin-->Behavior-->Reveal Trigger-->select Top Left Corneror
System Settings-->Appearance-->Behavior-->check Top left corner
- Unity 5.12 landed in Ubuntu 12.04 with numerous bug fixes and improvements
- Unity 5.10 landed in Ubuntu 12.04 with enhanced card view, reduced frost effect, improved icon rendering and numerous bug fixes
- Unity 5.8 released with optimized visuals, new multimonitor options, new animations and more
- Unity Coverflow view to land in Ubuntu 12.04 if design parameters are satisfied
- Unity 5.2 released with new home view, shortcut overlay, middle-click pasting and more