Unity Utilities lens adds calculator-based features to Unity
The Dash can be used in various interesting ways, such as searching&accessing files, folders. online music, applications but can be greatly enhanced by adding extra lenses and scopes.
Unity Utilities lens is focused on mathematical operations sent to GNOME Calculator, then the result is displayed in the Dash.
In order to make this lens functional, the Calculator scope (datasource) must be installed, after that can easily handle numerous mathematic operators such as -, +, *, /, %, sin, cos, tan, etc.
Unlike other lenses, Unity Utilities lens is not visible on Dash's bottom bar, the only part that is visible to users is the result (of a particular operation).
How do we install Unity Utilities lens 0.1?
Add the following official PPA (Oneiric, Precise)
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:scopes-packagers/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install unity-lens-utilities unity-scope-calculator
How do we use Unity Utilities lens 0.1?
Press the Super key (Meta or Windows key) and type a mathematical operation in the "home" view only (if you navigate to a particular lens you won't be able to "reach" this lens).
Bugs can be reported on launchpad.
- Access PuBmed, Google Scholar and JSTOR with Unity Academic lens
- Access movie details, know actors and play trailers via Unity Movie lens
- Easily translate words via Unity WordReference lens
- Unity PyPI lens 0.8 landed in Ubuntu Software Center
- How to easily enable a third-party lens to respect Unity's online-search default approach