"The Upstart Cookbook" available to download
In the last months we witnessed an "explosion" of good books/documents/organized info in the Ubuntu area like "Ubuntu Packaging Guide" , "The Official Ubuntu Book 6th edition" (available on Amazon), all of them "regular" user-oriented, useful for folks who want to be more familiar with Ubuntu or even to grow in an advanced user.
"Upstart is an event-based replacement for the /sbin/init daemon which handles starting of tasks and services during boot, stopping them during shutdown and supervising them while the system is running."
A quite well written book, "The Upstart Cookbook" is available now to download (free) in various formats (.pdf included) and structured in easy-to-digest pieces (introduction, concepts and terminology, best practices, etc) so, you don't have have to be a programmer (it is not advanced users-only) to read this info.
Download "The Upstart Cookbook" from http://upstart.at/2011/06/17/cookbook-in-pdf/
- 390-pages-long LibreOffice 4.0 Getting Started Guide freely available for download
- "Five Golden Rules for Ubuntu Migration" for companies
- Familiarize yourself with open-source's terms and concepts via an explanatory graphical document
- Ubuntu Packaging Guide landed in Ubuntu 12.10 (available via Ubuntu Software Center)
- Learn how to customize Ubuntu 12.04's Unity with Unity Customization Guide 1.0, free 72 pages PDF book