VLC 1.2 nightly build released with redesigned UI and numerous new features (PPA available)
VLC is definitely a mature, fully featured media player suitable for playing numerous media formats and packed with tons of options to be configured.
The main development version, VLC 1.2, has started to take a decent shape in terms of stability and gained interesting features as well as polish in the UI.
What is new in VLC 1.2 nightly build?
- redesigned bottom control-bar with hidden status-bar (is thinner now with a blueish progress-bar and rearranged buttons, giving a consistent feel and a better integration into the window)
- innovative features (open
VLC-->Preferences-->check Pause on the last frame of a videoin order to pause the running video when you minimize VLC and start that paused video when you restore its position on the desktop by unminimazing it)
- improved subtitles rendering and additional tweaking abilities (option to choose the text color and its outline color, possibility to add shadow, etc)
- improved Blu-Ray integration via the libluray library (still in its early beginnings)
- numerous video output filters rewritten
- new tweaking options in almost every Preferences window
How do we install VLC 1.2 nightly build?
Add the following development (probably unstable) PPA (Maverick, Natty, Oneiric, Precise)
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:videolan/master-daily
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install vlc